Thursday, January 16, 2014

Magazine Monday on Thursday

                  What is Magazine Monday?
         It's a new segment I am trying out on my blog here to help me post more frequently and to practice my painting skills. It's just an ordinary ESPN magazine that was going to end up in the trash. I like it's over sized pages.
    I usually start by finding a quote that "speaks" to me and then I gesso my pages.

 The quote I choose usually determines what I will paint on the pages. This week I went with a Bible verse:
He will cover you with his feathers and under his wings you will find refuge.   Psalms 91:4. So I drew and painted a wing with powder blue acrylic paint.. I also filled in the background with green paint, and then went around the edges with white while the green paint was still wet.

 I added some white paint to the wing so it wasn't so flat. Then added some smaller feather looking spots for interest. I painted the lower right of each of these marks with white paint. I also flicked a white Elmer's Painty Pen to make the white paint splats. Giving the wing freckles :) I also darkened the Bottom of the wing with dark blue paint.

 I wanted the shadow under the wing to be darker, so I coated the pages in a thin layer of Collage Pauge. This makes the surface nonporous. Which works well for adding some India ink from my Pitt Brush pen. I marked it on the paper and smeared it around a little with my finger.
 I finished my pages by adding the Bible verse I chose and hand painted some feathers around the edges. At some point I also added some Twinkling H2O's in  Light Blue, Gold and Yellow to add some sparkle.
I will see you next week, hopefully on Monday next time for another installment of Magazine Monday!
Have a great day!
Hugs, Dawn

4 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great idea and so cool! VERY INSPIRED!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this Dawn! The verse is a fantastic one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Holly! I agree about the verse.

    ReplyDelete