Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I've never shared this online before.....

I was a smoker. WAS. I gave it up about 8 months ago and have never looked back. I'm proud of myself for doing it. I am proud of myself for finally being honest about it. Does it make the world different for having shared it? No, not in the least. It serves as a reminder to me that in life we have choices and we don't always make the right ones. But I hope to choose better for myself in the future. This layout I am sharing today is about my first steps into getting healthy. I was inspired from a challenge posted at www.serendipityscrapbooks.com . Check the place out if you haven't I love it there. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming and the challenges ROCK!

Here is the journaling if you want to read it:

2009.….it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. The best thing that came out of last year for me personally is quitting smoking. It’s been about 8 months now. I was ready to quit and so it came easily.….this time. I used the patch for a week and that was it. I never looked back. I feel better, I look better and I smell better. The only downside has been my weight gain. I have never been what you would call thin, but I was comfortable at the weight I was maintaining. I quit smoking and blew that weight all to hell. I‘d heard horror stories of people ballooning up when they quit smoking and I was just going to have to deal with that when it came. Well, come it did. I wasn’t counting on how I would feel internally with the excess weight. I am not happy with my appearance and instead of just whining and complaining about how heavy I currently am, (been there, done that.). I am being proactive, which is to say that I am watching what I eat. Or maybe even more importantly, why I eat. My body told me I was full, but my head told me to eat anyway, and I did, either out of boredom or because I was having an emotion. At least with cigarettes there is the patch to help curb the cravings, not really the case with food. I have had a love affair with food for many years, a sweet tooth of the worst kind. Now when I reach for something to eat I simply ask myself “Self, are you really hungry or just bored? Unhappy? And so far it has worked, and when it doesn’t I eat a stick of gum instead. I can’t predict the future and say I am off snacking, or will never eat out of boredom again. All I can do is try. And I am. In addition to monitoring my intake, I am also working out with Wii Fit Plus, everyday. My hope as the year progresses and the weather starts to warm up, I will be outside playing with my kids more, swimming at the community pool in all my bathing suit glory, and just enjoying life. This journey will be long, and the finish line isn’t anywhere in sight, but I am, as of this day enjoying each step. I hope 2010 is filled with good times with family and friends and happiness and laughter. I will take it one pound at a time.
Journaling by Dawn Moore Age: 36
Photo and layout started and finished on Jan. 06, 2010

11 comments:

  1. Dawn I am so proud of and for you. I too quit smoking, Feb 2001, it was hard. unlike you I had no strength, now I struggle with the feeling you described in you journaling of it. I think it was the hardest thing I have evedr done. Now almost 9 yrs later Im glad I didn't pay $6 per pack, Im glad I don't have to go out when its cold to smoke. Hang in there friend, Im proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, on taking the necessary steps in giving up smoking! ... and now to get active..... I haven't set new years resolution, but instead goals, the first is to give up smoking, and I've just starting (2nd day) on Champix, and also on a weight loss program, at the same time so I don't put any weight on.... all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on quitting smoking :) i have tried so many times and i am sure one time i will be able to for good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the most amazing blog followers! You guys really help me out, coming here and telling me about your stories, and listening to mine. Really guys, thanks so much for coming and sharing with me :)

    Kerri I am rooting for you. My dear friend "Shawn" used Champix to quit and he is still smoke free months later. YOU CAN DO IT!!

    Rose, you will get there, I have no doubt. I tried many times to quit with no success. It was different the last time, I think I was just ready, know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, CONGRATS on being smoke free for 8 months and for getting healthier and getting a handle on eating. It is so hard but you sound like you are DEFINITELY going to succeed-heck, you already HAVE succeeded! What a great start to 2010..you should be so proud! You're an inspiration to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn, what a great page to make for yourself! I also was a smoker and had quit several times before, but I think this last time has stuck. I've just passed my three year mark. Congratulations and you will get the weight off - you've got the right attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THanks for the votes of confidence Lori and Holly. I hope you are right!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I wish I could quit!I have tried and tried... But I did buy me the Ab machine!! I just need to tighten up my "BUDDY BOB" (Belly) and I need to loose 20 pounds and Ill be back at 110!! YEA!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself! Great lay out and I enjoyed reading it too. I love your digi's and thanks for the freebies I snagged while I was here. Take care, ~Diane

    ReplyDelete